Tuesday, February 24, 2009


Now it was time for the real test of my winter fitness....

Stage 8 and the climb up Palomar mnt. by far the biggest climb I had ever thought about doing. The 13.5 mile 4500' vert would def kick my but!

We set out from Harrah's Rincon and we started climbing straight away! the first 6-7 miles were steady grades and a couple switch backs. I was feeling ok but nervous as I ddin't know what to expect from the ride and was tempering my effort.

We turned onto the South Grade and that was it up up up and away! 7 miles 21 switchbacks.... I was feeling slow but good as I cranked away in my 36/25 and the 3 guys up front took off But I was cool with riding my own pace. with a little over 5k to go I catch Joe. We rode on at a nice tempo seeing more and more people getting pumped for the riders!

including my favorite group the "ding a ling a ling" guys they didn't have cow bells so they just yelled "DING ALING ALING ALING" screaming and yelling and runnign next to us up the road :)

with 200M to go I didn't know where the road was going and joe picked up the pace but I didn't make a move but then the KOM was there and I realized I could have but it was all in fun :)

We made it to the top and it was easier then I thought it would be yea it was long.... and steep.... but I handled it well :) south grade 61:58 mins 177 avg HR

We drank a few beers (thanks to our lead moto bringing then up earlier) and the race came by and we hit the road again and RIPPED the decent.... passing motos and cars we were down south grade in 15mins! Then the race was passing by us again so we waited for the broom wagon then....

~500-1,000 roadies all decended the 76 all at once chasing the race! it was CRAZY! dangerous for sure! but so cool! Back to the car and the end of a great day!

Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:3516 ft
Location:Pauma Valley, CAElev. Gain:+0 ft
Date:02/22/09Up/Downhill: [+4520/-4520]
Time:09:30 AMDifficulty:4.8 / 5.0
 
Weather:Mostly Cloudy
 65 F temp; 44% humidity
 65 F heat index; winds NW 6
Performance

Distance: 27.28 miles
Time:2:31:00
Speed:10.8 mph
Pace:5' 33 /miHeart Rate:170 bpm (Avg)
Calories:2459193 bpm (Peak)
Notes
south grade 61.9 mins 177 avg
Map
 
Elevation (ft)
 

Posted from bimactive.com

No comments: