Tuesday, May 27, 2008


Epic comes to mind! It had that Epic feel to it from the start. We pack up the car 4 guys, 4 bikes in a sedan and drove up to the southside of Big Bear Mnt. There we found out it was a 4 mile drive down a dirt road (thanks jeff as I would have made you guys ride if we were in my car).
The weather was cool, low 40's deep in the valley and we had a thick cloud cover I was a bit under prepared for the cool weather but thankfully I grabbed a light jacket before leaving the house and had my knee warmers in my bag.

started out on a fire road climb with no warm up and I felt it.... I was def feeling a bit fat but after getting onto the single track and riding ~30mins i finally warmed up. though my feet were pretty cold but the legs were moving well. We kept up a nice pace and about 1/2 way up we hit a good spot for a break.

Most of the group took a long break but I was all warmed up and we were moving at break neck speeds so a few of us decided to get a move on. This is where the real climbing started, tight single track tons of exposure (long way down!) and lots of pedaling. We made our way up and after a while at a pretty intense pace I backed off as I wasn't sure how far we'd have to go.

Glad I did as we climbed for a total of almost 2hrs! toward the top the legs were really tired but the lungs were ok despite my poor performance in cool weather in the past.

We were 3rd or 4th to the top out of a group of almost 30 (and we were the last people to leave the parking lot some people had like a 20min head start) we broke there for ~15mins eat a cliff bar, jelly bellys, and shot blocks. and we were back on the trail for the decent.

The beginning was actually tough in the legs as there was very little pedaling but that made it hard to warm up as I was shivering at the top (had to be below 40) but we got moving and WOW what a fun decent. Not rocking white knuckle fast but fun, flowing, curvy exposed trails with sick views!

We back tracked over the spot where jeff almost took a 200' slide into a ravine and made our way down. I was feeling good, the legs were there, the I was riding well.

We hit a small climb before the last decent and my legs had very little left. I was going for broke on a few occasions pushing myself hard. One little water crossing I smashed my knee on my bars and was getting cranky as fatigue was setting in. But as I was getting grouchy we hit the final decent and FLEW! I led out and while I didn't have the legs to accelerate out of the turns I was moving well and linking all my turns together smoothly.

Back to the lot and into the car for the drive home!

SICK RIDE! I'll be back there in a month or so well worth the drive!

Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:5704 ft
Location:Angelus Oaks, CAElev. Gain:-269 ft
Date:05/25/08Up/Downhill: [+3310/-3579]
Time:10:55 AMDifficulty:5.0 / 5.0
Performance

Distance: 20.69 miles
Time:4:09:49
Speed:5.0 mph
Pace:12' 00 /miHeart Rate:162 bpm (Avg)
Calories:1125184 bpm (Peak)
Map
 
Elevation (ft)
 
Speed (mph)
 

Posted from bimactive.com

No comments: