Tuesday, April 29, 2008


After the break I was nervous and anxious. This was my lap! I did the first lap in the heat for the chance to get one more day lap in and kill it. My HR was high due to the adrenaline!

Chris came in and I was OFF, sprinted out of the gate, thru the sandtrap and onto the fire rode. I hit the fire road hard! cranking!, I hit the climb and pushed it!

I hammered 100% I kept saying in my head leave nothing on the trail! all out! well I didn't go ALL out as I knew that it was a 10 mile course but tried to keep my HR under 185 when I could on the climb.

The heat was backing off the sun was setting and while I had my bar mount light on due to the rules (all laps started 1 hr before sunset have lights) I didn't want to use them. I got to the top of the climb in around 25 mins.

On the next decent I white knuckled it putting all four fingers on the grips no brakes! I passed 3 or 4 people here. Hit the next short climb and hammered, the next super steep short approach I hammered and cleared it (HR must have been in the mid 190's at that point)

I rocked the decent clearing all the switchbacks and rocking the fire road transitions. Next came the smooth graded road short climb, I dropped it into the grany gear but kept the speed up and rounded the turn at the top with authority. again on the decent no breaks! till I hit the single track then it was a mix of late braking, manualling the whoops, sprinting out of the corners and boarder line out of control riding.

Hit the bottom of the main decent and tried to keep the speed up as I climbed up the "ambulance road" into the tunnels of love and I tore thru there, ripping the turns catching air over the little climbs as I was holding my momentum thru out. got to the fire road and started heading back up the small climb to the insanely steep short climb up to the ridge and got off and RAN it! jumped back on my saddle (ouch that kinda hurt!) and grind away hit the Whoops (steep up hills followed by steep drops) was going so fast I aired out the tops on each one tossing in a lill whip and turn down (style was key but rather stupid looking back as I was pretty out of control and could have lost it at any time) Now was the mile 8 sand section! I was getting burnt, I was starting to feel a bit sick and the heat was still getting to me, I didn't want my HR to spike heading thru the sand so I jumped off and ran which was a good thing as I looked at my HR getting back on the bike and it was only 175ish if I road it I'd be in the 190's.

Up the last quick climb and BAM!!!! my left hamstring locks and cramps! hard! I get a couple more pedal strokes in to get to the top of the short climb and now its all down so I go no brakes down the decent gaining speed for the military climb while trying to stretch the leg out. I hit the Military climb and the leg locks again!

I made it about 75% up on momentum alone and one legs hopped up the rest. I was hurting had to stop for a moment as I couldn't pedal! I took the moment to put my sunglasses in my camelpack, took the baton out and had my RF ID card ready (things I was gonna have to do at the end before I could clock out anyway. All while stretching that hamstring out and screaming in pain (that hurt so insanely bad!) after about a 30-45sec break I got back on my bike its Mile 10!

I'm on the home stretch I hit the last decent sketchy fast! rip the turn to the fire road and wheelie out sprinting all OUT! I knew kerin would be right there and with the falling sun it was hard to tell who was who but she said she could tell who I was from my grunting and yelling as I flew by! (I was trying to show off ;) I hit the left hander into the camp grounds and leaned over so far I though to my self do my tires have tread this far over? I sprint hard out of the turn put my hands in the center of my bars my chin on my stem and turn my hardest gear all thru the camp ground, people turning to look and cheer me on as I'm not coasting in on this one. I was hammering all out! I got to the fenced in run up to the finish and was screaming I almost didn't make the last turn, I reached into my pocket tossed the baton to the timer and swiped my card. and collapsed in the grass. 1:12:57! 14th fastest lap in our division

I was paying the price. My body immediately turned on me. My stomach was trying to push up what was in it which was nothing but maybe a bit of water. My legs were locking up and shacking.

I made it back to the campsite but barely. I sat in a chair messed up! I didn't know what to do with myself I had a salt pill in my lap a banana, a nalgene, and a hotdog roll. I was trying to get this stuff down but couldn't. I then got in my tent stripped and got in my sleeping bag. for the next hr or so I had the cold sweats, shivered and pushed thru the nausea finally I was feeling good enough to get up. It was like an extremely intense hang over! Like I poisoned my own body with lactic acid or something.

I got up and drank ~2 liters of gatorade, ate the salt pill (thanks Tony), ate the banana, ~1/2 a lb of pasta and 3 potatoes. I was feeling ok......

Activity
Route:24hr at vail lakeElev. Avg:1707 ft
Location:Aguanga, CAElev. Gain:+23 ft
Date:04/25/08Up/Downhill: [+1358/-1335]
Time:06:30 PMDifficulty:4.1 / 5.0
Performance

Distance: 10.60 miles
Time:1:12:57
Speed:8.7 mph
Pace:6' 54 /miHeart Rate:178 bpm (Avg)
Calories:1358193 bpm (Peak)
Map
Aguanga, California
 
Elevation (ft)
 

Posted from bimactive.com

No comments: