Sunday, May 11, 2008


So Kerin and her Mom left early to head back to San Diego and I hung back to get in a ride up here in Santa Barbara wine country. It was a cool damp day much like the day before. So I started off with booties, long sleeve jersey, knee warmers, and a light jacket.

As I climbed out of the valley the sun got alot stronger and I packed the jacket up into my jersey pocket and took a quick pic.



I followed the road as it rolled along thru vineyards and horse farms quiet and nice. Road was dead straight but not flat at all! rolled up and down up and down it was crazy.... hit a short decent and hung a left onto "Happy Canyon" sounded nice enough and it was at this point I was just cruising not a very hard pace just riding and enjoying the scene. I figured this was the closest I'll come to riding in the south of france riding amung all the grape vines and mnts in the backdrop.

I then turned onto a new road and it got pretty bumpy :( and I was over come by the smell of horse shit :( prob for the next 5 miles :( that wasn't that great but I turned it up a bit to try and get thru it.

I crossed back over the 154 and headed thru Los Olivos and onto the top part of the Tour to California ITT course. I rounded the island at the center of town and headed for the short but steep climb! I hit the base and started thinking of Big George, Levi, Jen Voit, World camp ITT Canchellara and I felt pretty lucky to ride the same spot they did. I kicked it down a few gears and hit the climb hard! pushed low gears out of the saddle for 90% of it! I had to sit at the top as I was getting burnt, not as fast up as I would have liked.... the legs were a bit tired and I was feeling my lack of breakfast in my stomach and I had no food on me...

After the climb it was 85% down back to town to I tossed it in my Big ring and told myslef I'm not shifting out of this till I hit Solvang.... and I did just that! Hammered the low gears and used the whole road as it winded thru the vineyards I'm sure it was nicer than I really remember but I was hammering and kinda concentrating on the road :)

Hit a tight left hander before a short steep climb saw no cars coming so I used the whole road and ripped it at ~25mph and then hammered as hard as I could up the short climb. I kept it in the big ring (but did shift into my easiest cog for a sec;) after that it was crank crank crank crank! back into town GREAT RIDE! can't wait to do more riding out there!

Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:709 ft
Location:--Elev. Gain:-4 ft
Date:05/11/08Up/Downhill: [+1036/-1040]
Time:08:45 AMDifficulty:4.1 / 5.0
Performance

Distance: 23.23 miles
Time:1:24:27
Speed:16.5 mph
Pace:3' 38 /mi
Calories:1117
Map
 
Elevation (ft)
 
Speed (mph)
 

Posted from bimactive.com

No comments: