Wednesday, July 23, 2008


Well after trying to well at lunch and breakfast and stretching my hamstrings (they kill!) I was ready for a nice ride home. Since I was on my own I thought to myself I'll ride with my Courier bag and 2 days with of cloths and lunch stuff.

I was moving at normal pace thru the 56 and on the initial climb up Camino Del Sur. I was feeling a little slow, but when I think back I really don't use my granny gear that much anymore and case in point is the short steep climb on camino del sur, I kept it in middle ring and cranked it out. I'm also using Big ring alot more, not just on descents on flats so either I'm just pushing harder gears or I'm actually getting faster.

But then I cruised to San Diegto rd, and hit the decent to the horse stables. It was odd not having a wheel on that long slightly uphill run to the polo fields. I was feeling pretty good now, my lungs were starting to clear out but my HR was def still up.

I headed west on lomas santa fe and south past dog beach. Cruised up the del mar climb and was regagated to skipping torrey pines.

When a guy in full CSC kit and riding a Cervelo sl-slc came zipping by me.... I jumped onto his wheel (well not totally on his wheel as not to be a total dick) He was cranking, full on skinny roady shaved legs, deep dish wheels.... I mean he was prob 6" taller than me, weighed 10 lbs less than me and his bike weighed 5 lbs less, I was riding wth at least 15 lbs on my back and I was already 20 miles into my ride (35 miles for the day)....

So I hang on as he cranks along the flat, I take a pull up front on the decent to the beach and I'm just waiting for this guy to destroy me up Torrey pines!

I can hear him just coasting behind me as his ceramic bearing wheels can just fly in my GIANT draft (as my bag was a giant wind blocker). at the base of the climb I stayed with in contact, till 1/4 of the way up. I had to switch to my granny gear and right then he danced on his pedals and noodled away.

1/2 way up I turned the corner and I could barely see him in the distance. I past by a guy I gestured to the guy and said "did that guy have a rocket in his ass?" he laughed and said "I thought I was going backwards when he kicked it up going past me"

I was schooled in the ways of how to climb, but it felt good as I hadn't planned on climbing Torrey Pines and while I got my ass handed to me by Mr. CSC fast guy I did pass 2 other people on that climb while wearing a HUGE bag :)

Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:241 ft
Location:Poway, CAElev. Gain:-457 ft
Date:07/22/08Up/Downhill: [+2125/-2582]
Time:05:30 PMDifficulty:4.2 / 5.0
 
Weather:Fair
 68 F temp; 65% humidity
 68 F heat index; winds SW 5
Performance

Distance: 26.53 miles
Time:1:40:01
Speed:15.9 mph
Pace:3' 46 /miHeart Rate:163 bpm (Avg)
Calories:1456187 bpm (Peak)
Map
 
Elevation (ft)
 

Posted from bimactive.com

No comments: