Saturday, November 8, 2008


Headed up to Vail Lake for a stnd xc race today. Was a BLAST! we headed up early 6:30am it was a sunny beatiful socal am! I reg'd and was ready to race the first real XC race of my life.



I was in Sport 19-29 one of my last races in this category....

Hit the start and had a pretty bad start, couldn't get in my pedal and ended up starting pretty far back. I used a couple new CX moves I learned to do some run ups early and pass some of the slower traffic. The main climb was bigger then I thought but def not crazy, fun switch backs led to a short fire road climb then a crazy sandy switch back decent.

That dropped you into tunnel of love where I totally got jammed up behind some slower riders :( I got past then when it opened up to fire road and up a new trail called gun slinger... when I got stuck behind a guy that was way to tentative on a steep decent and I had to try and go around him to the left lost control and rolled end over end.... not fun! but after I got my composer and passed the guy the trail was fun stuff 80% single track that made passing hard but fun ride.

I hammered it home 1st lap in 38 mins. With lap traffic gone I knew I'd be able to try and start really passing people. I really tried to put the hammer down on the climb catching and passing each person I got in sight. I passed a few here and there and then there was a group of 3 just ahead but I just couldn't reel them in.... I hammered home trying to catch on the fire road but was out of gears :( they turned out to be 2nd and 3rd in my class :( but a great first race. 2nd lap was 30 sec faster and I finished in 1:14!


I learned that the start is way more important in these shorter races! next time I know :)





Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:1668 ft
Location:Aguanga, CAElev. Gain:+3 ft
Date:11/08/08Up/Downhill: [+1459/-1456]
Time:09:04 AMDifficulty:4.2 / 5.0
 
Weather:Fair
 68 F temp; 33% humidity
 68 F heat index; winds Calm
Performance

Distance: 10.91 miles
Time:1:36:49
Speed:6.8 mph
Pace:8' 49 /miHeart Rate:182 bpm (Avg)
Calories:565192 bpm (Peak)
Map
 
Elevation (ft)
 
Speed (mph)
 

Posted from bimactive.com

No comments: