Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Santa Ynez Race

So wake up and try and shake off the nyquil fog, and pop too much advil....my head was spinning from my inner ear issue....

There was a nice lill loop section at the start where the feed zone was and had a small hill in it so warm up was great there. 9:15 I start the warm up, easy 130-140bpm first lap, 150+ on 2nd lap, I hammer the crap out of the 3rd lap 170's, and back to 140's for my 4th lap 25min warm up adn ready to stage.

I cool off a lill waiting for the start. top 10 in the series get call ups. I start 3rd row.

Gun goes off I get into my pedal and we are off, into the first turn and I get squeezed.... I could have tossed an elbow but I tapped the brakes and fell in line. up the first lill hill I look back and we are all together wheel to wheel the whole group I'm sitting about 9-10th wheel. Down the hill and off onto the course. We all stay together till the base of the first switch back climb and I'm redlined!!! I'm try not to panick but there is no way I'm gonna be able to hold this pace no way! I get passed by 2 guys right before the switch backs.

We go into the climb and things start to calm down 2 guys go off the front and people start settleing in to thier pace. I pass a couple guys in the switch backs (think I'm sitting ~10th) I see one guy from our group (marked 19 on our legs 30-34 was 19...) with a flat so now I think I'm 11th.... I start to back off a bit and I see a guy from my group come up behind me. On the 2nd climb and put the screws to him!!!! never see them again... My desecnding is a bit off due to my head not on straight but the legs are feeling good and going up since its not technical all you need was legs....

up the 3rd climb and down to the start finish, I drop my arm warmers off to Kerin and don't take a bottle in the feed zone as the 1 I started with is still half full. First lap 50mins. I left the bike in Pro-pedal the whole time only changing the fork travel from 150-80mm on the climbs.

2nd lap I'm feeling he burn but am really warmed up now and open it up a bit on the main climb, I get passed here and there by a couple guys from other groups (marked 20 and 21) I pass a few guys from the 19-29 crew (marked 18) but I never see another 19 again.... I keep the hammer down though as I don't want to get caught and I wanna put in max effoert.

It was fun to see teamates out there even though I didn't know them got a few cheers from the crowd (Go SHO-AIR!) I finished strong and after the final turn I looked back saw no one zipped up my jersey and rolled no handed over the line (no arms up like a I won or anything just happy with my effort)

Ended up I was 12th out fo 25 guys so mid pack was my goal and I got it :) 1:38 Great race!

Date: 04/26/2009
Start Time: 10:01:00
End Time: 11:39:00
Time Taken: 01:38:15
Route: Santa Ynez XC Course 09
Total Distance: 18.16 mi.
Reps/Laps: 2
Burned: 1,976 (kcal)
Workout Weight: 150.0 lbs.
Effort: Hardest
Quality: Great
HR: 90 (min) 173 (avg) 189 (max)
Pace: 05:25 (avg)
Speed: 11.09 (mi/hr) (avg)

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

No comments: